Whenever the customer requirements are not clear, organizations can goto develop
model software to show to customers and to get clear requirements. This sample
software is called as “prototype”/Sample screens are prototype to customer for clear
- From the above diagram at first software bidding will be done between the CEO of
company and customer or client. Then after bidding, the CEO will conduct the
meeting with all the project managers (PM) in the company called as “kick of
- In that meeting CEO will make an announcement about that new project, to handle
that project any one of the project manager will be selected. Then that project
manager will give an project initiation note (PIN) to CEO.
- Then PM will assign the work to the business analyst (BA) to gather all the
requirements from the customer. If customer requirements are not clear then
company will develop a model s/w and show to the customer. At that time customer
will identify the new requirements and those requirements will be gathered by BA.
- Then BA will submit all the gathered requirements to the system analyst (SA) in order to do the analysis or detailed planning which is going to submit it to the PM. Then PM will approve that planning done by SA.
- Then SA will submit that document to the technical architect (TA).
- Then designers will do the design which consists of HLD and LLD’s.
- Based on that design, programmers will do the coding and that corresponding
programmers will test the developed code.
- Then after testing that s/w, few programmers will be selected for onsite and release
the s/w. Then change for control board (CCB) people will do the
maintenance/support of that s/w
Advantages of prototype model:
- Clarity on requirements from the customer, success rate of the project is higher.
- Customer can see the system and he provides the feedback immediately.
- Error can detected much earlier as customer is getting involved.
- Reduced time and cost.
- Improved and increased user involvements.
Disadvantages of prototype model
- Customer may think that prototype is the real system.
- Time taking model as the actual development does not start until the prototype is
- Adopting changes or adding new requirements is difficult.
- Prototype is of no use once the development of actual system started.